Healthy Fats – (Avoid excessive saturated fats and trans fats such as margarine, biscuits and fastfoods)
For simplicity- stick to fats found in the Mediterranean Diet– nuts, seeds, extra-virgin olive oil.
- Fatty fish such as mackerel, sardines and salmon.
- Nuts (almonds) and seeds (flaxseeds).
- Olive Oil- Extra virgin and virgin are the least processed.
- Butter from grass-fed cows.
Fruits Vegetables Gains and Nuts ( Avoid coconut, vegetables with heavy sauce, fruits with canned syrup)
- Broccoli (Steam)
- Figs (Good source of calcium and fibre)
- Kiwis (High Vitamin C, high source of potassium and lower salt than bananas)
- Fresh or frozen.
- Canned in water or juice.
Low fat protein sources.
- Low fat dairy products.
- Cold water fish such as sardines and salmon.
- Soybeans products.
- Lean ground meats
- Skinless cuts of turkey and chicken
- Lean cuts of meat such as sirloin
- Meat labels should say <10% fat.
- Cocoa flavenols help the body synthesis a compound called nitric oxide which helps with blood flow and blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate is rich in flavenols or you can get it in supplement form.