Beetroot Oat Risotto
With Herb Gremolata & Toasted Almonds
Beetroot & Oats, a combination made in heaven and designed to improve your cardiovascular system! Despite of the complicated look of this recipe, it is super easy and fun to make, PLUS, it tastes divine ☺
It‘s important to know this recipe is super low on salt as well (good for your heart), because it switches a good amount of it for onion powder, which gives taste without the need of adding more seasoning.
For the stock (about 2.5Lt)
Yellow Onion 1, sliced thick
Carrots 3 medium, sliced
Celery 2 medium sticks sliced
Fresh Thyme about 6 springs
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1+1/2 Tbsp (22ml)
Cold Water 3Lt
Rock Salt ½ Tbsp
- Place all the vegetables and the olive oil into a large pot, without salt. Toast them until golden mixing often. It’s ok if the edges get slightly burned, it will give more flavour to the stock.
- Once the vegetables are golden brown, add 3 Lt of cold water and ½ Tbsp of rock salt.
- Cook over medium heat for about 40 minutes.
- Separate the liquid from the vegetables with a strainer and store the stock in the fridge or set aside in a pot if you are going to use it immediately. You can also freeze it and defrost it when needed.
For the beetroot puree
Pre-cooked Beetroot 105gr, chopped
Vegetable Stock ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp (120ml)
Grated Parmesan 10gr
Lemon Zest 1gr, chopped
Lemon Juice 1 Tsp (5ml)
Onion Powder 2gr
- Transfer all the ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth.
For the herb “gremolata”
Fresh Mint 1 handful
Fresh Basil Leaves 1 handful
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, double the amount of the herbs
Lemon Juice a few drops
- Chop the herbs roughly and mix them with olive oil. Add a few drops of lemon juice and stir well until combined. Set aside.
For the Oat Risotto (2 portions)
Oats Kernels 1 Cup or 190gr
Shallot 40gr, finely sliced with a mandolin
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 Tbsp
White Wine 2 Tbsp
Vegetable Stock about 1 Lt
Garnish: Toasted almonds 2 Tbsp, sliced or roughly chopped
- Place shallot and olive oil into a pot and gently cook until soften. Add little stock if needed.
- Drain the oats well and transfer into the pot, stir fry on high heat then add 2 Tbsp of white wine on the sides of the pot, so the alcohol can evaporate easily.
- Once you cannot smell the alcohol anymore, add about 3 ladlesful of hot stock. Lower the heat to the minimum and add more stock, about 2 ladlesful every 5 minutes. Keep adding stock until the oat is cooked and still little bit moist. You should see that the liquid has become creamy. It will take about 30 minutes to cook from the moment you add the first stock.
- When oat is cooked and there is little liquid left with it, add about 3 full spoons of beetroot puree and keep cooking over high heat until the mix is creamy and not too liquid. It will need to have the consistency of a pureed soup, not too dry, not too liquid. Just right!
How to serve:
-Place some risotto on each plate, top with herb gremolata, finish with 1 Tbsp of sliced toasted almonds each.